Stanley Fish vs Daniel Fogel

Daniel Fogel and Stanley Fish squared off last Thursday in UVM’s Ira Allen Chapel armed with a plethora of facts and information concerning freedom of speech, professional academic behavior, and a handful of academic jokes.

Stanley Fish, noted theorist and Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Illinois, began the event by declaring himself a purist in the area of freedom of speech as it pertained to academia and professors. Fish went on to explain why he believed professors should be restricted in the academic system, citing the lack of any real protection provided by the first amendment in several situations. Fish identified several different examples that pertained to freedom of speech and the academic world; he also touched upon the need for “free speech” zones, those areas completely “protected” for free speech, on college campuses.

Daniel Fogel then spoke about the complexities related to Fish’s views, often times referring back to his background as an English professor and the need to communicate “human to human”. Fogel continued by citing several examples throughout UVM’s history where he believed freedom of speech had been egregiously impeded in favor of contemporary political thoughts and views, the most “disturbing” of which being a 1953 incident where a UVM professor was summarily dismissed for refusing to admit any ties to the communist party.

There followed a question and answer period where several faculty members questioned Fish’s “purist” views in regards to their professional roles at UVM. Fish once again demonstrated his unbending views and demeanor by repeatedly asking one audience member to “get to the question”. The Fogel-Fish forum was the final event in a four day visit by Fish.