Stay Active with Intramurals

Tuesday September 6th marked the beginning of many of the registrations for UVM’s very popular Intramural Sports activities. Intramural sports are a great way for new students and returning students alike to get involved, meet people and stay active. UVM offers a plethora of sports that you can register for with a team of your friends or as a free agent to be put on a team. Throughout the fall there are eleven different sports in which you can participate. Starting last Tuesday, registration for the Ultimate Frisbee Tournament opened, to be played on Saturday September 17 at 12:00pm. Flag Football team registration also opened and begins play on Friday September 16. These games are great and can get as competitive as you like, and good luck beating last years champions The Prions and The Booze Bagz. On the 8th, Tennis Singles registration began and the brackets will be available on the 16th. For tennis it is up to the players to schedule their own games and the competition can get intense. One of UVM’s favorite intramurals is Broomball, which is played on the ice with regular athletic shoes and a helmet. Sign-ups for Broomball begin on September 19 and are open through September 26. Play begins on October 3rd. Broomball is an incredibly amusing sport to both play and watch. Looking back on his experience playing with the champion team Buckham’s Finest, Matt Mues, Class of 2008, declared, “It is a great way to do something besides eat, sleep, study and party. I enjoyed playing broomball with all of my friends, we won the championship and got our sick picture in the calendar.” The picture that he is referring to can be seen in the UVM Campus Recreation Calendar and Handbook. In fact, every championship team not only gets an Intramural Champion T-Shirt but also their team picture in that calendar. Not a bad incentive to get active with UVM’s Intramural sports!NOTE: Throughout October, Volleyball, Racquetball, 3-on-3 Basketball and Team Bowling’s registrations will all open as well.