Filed under Campus, News

Student government organizes new visions for 2016

Executive members of SGA have set the course for several new initiatives this year.

Upon entering their second year in office, SGA President Jason Maulucci and Vice President Tyler Davis have set a goal for SGA for the 2016 school year: holding the organization accountable in order to elevate its role in student’s lives.

“[These two ideas] work together,” Maulucci said. “You can’t have ‘elevate’ unless you have ‘accountability.’”

Accountability will begin with transparency at every level, Davis said. Committee chairs will post agendas and details about the roles and responsibilities of each senator.

Accountability will translate into actions SGA will take as a group, he said.

As negotiations with the faculty senate begin, the accountability portion of this vision will drive SGA to pursue contracts that hold faculty accountable for ensuring descriptions and needed course materials be made available to students before they register for courses, Davis said.

“We feel that syllabi and expanded course descriptions should be expected when registration opens,” Maulucci said in a Sept. 6 Cynic article.

With accountability emphasized at UVM, Maulucci said SGA wants to elevate their involvement to one that reaches beyond the limits of campus.

“We want to be involved in everything that impacts stu- dents,” he said, “not just [on campus].”

A glimpse of this involvement was seen last year when executive members of SGA went to the State House to support members of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

A key portion of this involvement resides in the students’ relationship with Burlington, Maulucci said.

To do so, SGA is currently gathering information that examines the role UVM students play in the city’s economy, he said.

In addition, Maulucci said he is hoping to bring innovative minds into the Burlington committee by entering the beginning stages of an innovation center.

SGA currently has one of the most experienced bodies in its history, with a retention rate of 80 percent, according to a May 5 Cynic article.

About the Writer
Kelsey Neubauer, Former Editor-in-chief

Kelsey Neubauer is a junior at the University of Vermont, majoring in English. Kelsey joined in January 2015. In October 2016, she was made the Editor-in-chief....