Students can get anything, anytime

These aren’t your typical delivery guys.The Crucial Couriers bicycle delivery service, started this past fall by former UVM students, is becoming increasingly popular as more and more students are attracted to their service and their attitude.”It’s become much more successful than we thought,” co-creater and former UVM student Zack Rouda said.The Crucial Couriers — who deliver everything from term papers to groceries — are more concerned with reciprocity and community relations than with money, Rebecca Sananes, marketing and outreach coordinator for Crucial Couriers, said.”We’re not working for a wage like you do in the normal capitalistic job,” Rouda said. “It’s an investment in this thing. It’s fun to bike, but I’m doing it because ideally we’re going to work together to support our own existence and not have to be tied to a wage.”Other members agreed.”It’s also about being local, and thinking more on a closer scale,” Sananes said. Not only is it about being a local business, but it’s also a personal business, Rouda said. “I’m a guy on a bike, you call me up, I’m not sweating, then I work for you for 20 minutes and I’m breathing hard,” he said.Initial interest in the business came from students, Christine Hill, a rider for Crucial Couriers and former UVM student, said.The interest continues to grow, as students find more uses for the delivery service. “[Crucial Couriers] sounds awesome to me — that they can bring anything to you at any time. Like if you needed to get a paper delivered right at once, and didn’t want to waste any time, that would be really useful,” sophomore Monique Hanson said. The business was created by former UVM students Harrison Hagan and Zack Rouda.  “Me and Zack were both from fairly large cities, and we spent a lot of time in D.C. biking around those busy cities, competing with traffic in cities, and we envied that whole idea and wanted to recreate that here,” Hagan said. The current group involved in running Crucial Couriers does not know where the business is going, but plans to stay and see the project through, Sananes said.”People wait until later in life to be their own boss,” Hill said. “I just want to do it now.”