Students “die-in” for fossil fuel divestment

Student Climate Culture (SCC) staged a ?die-in? outside of President Thomas Sullivan?s office around 4 p.m. today in Waterman.Members of the club stood silently against the walls and began slowly lying on the ground one by one, in a demonstration used to ?highlight the deadly effects of climate change and environmental destruction? associated with fossil fuels, SCC?s press release stated.The demonstration took place at the same time two members of the club, junior Dan Cmejla and senior Kerry Wilson, met with Sullivan to discuss divesting from fossil fuels and to ask for his support of the group?s proposal, according to the release.Sullivan did not make it outside of his office to see the ?die-in?.”We asked President Sullivan if he would support our campaign and he told us that he doesn’t want to prejudge the facts, whether they are in our favor or not,” Wilson said. “He doesn’t want to support this before it goes through the appropriate committees and through that process.”Wilson said although she was absent for the full demonstration, it conveyed the message they had hoped it would.?It was great to see how many people came out,? she said. ?It was amazing how quiet and somber everybody was?I think that effect was just what we were hoping for?respectful and powerful.?The board of trustees will meet April 17 in which they will look further into the Student Climate Culture?s plea for divestment. Currently, the Socially Responsible Investing Advisory Committee is reviewing the club?s proposal, which calls for eliminating funding in the top 200 fossil fuel companies by February 2017.UVM?s faculty senate passed a removal in favor of fossil fuel divestment March 11, making it the first faculty senate in the nation to do so, the Cynic reported.