Students dine finely on the floor

People eating on the floor, long lines, not enough food to feed the masses — sound familiar? It may sound like a nightmare, or many, say the dining hall in Harris Millis. Due to the renovation of the Simpson, there has been overcrowding in halls like Harris Millis and the Marché, retail manager of Alice’s and the Marché Gina Caglione said. “Customers and sales are on the upswing, but we haven’t seen anything yet,” Caglione said. Caglione said she is anticipating things getting really crazy in the coming weeks, but is confident the Marché is ready to take on the challenge. To accommodate more students in a limited space, more employees have been hired in the Marché and Harris Millis dining hall, she said. Those who worked in the Simpson have either been moved to other facilities on campus or will remain unemployed until the hall reopens, Caglione said. Simpson’s dining hall will reopen in time for the second semester, she said. Dining halls are encouraging students to be flexible in their schedules by eating earlier or later than usual. Dinner peak times are between 6-8 p.m. but dinner is served from 4:30-9 p.m., General Manager of Food Services Melissa Zelazny said. “I think that’s a good idea, but it’s not really practical for my schedule,” first year Sabrina Smits said. “In the evenings I usually only have about a 20-minute window to eat, so restructuring mealtime isn’t an option.” The Redstone Express runs during the week until 7:30 p.m. to shuttle students to Cook Commons. A Sunday service may also be implemented in the future, Zelazny said. “I live on Redstone, but I didn’t even know about any shuttle,” first year Kodi Ross said. “When I go to a dining hall, which is about once or twice a week, I go to Harris Millis, but usually it’s easier for me to go to the Chinese Cart or the Marché.” The Simpson Store is still open and has been expanding its menu, however, there are limited resources for the store due to the renovation, Zelazny said. The Marché is having difficulty finding room for all the extra food needed to meet the higher demands, Caglione. “It’s like a game,” Caglione said. “You should see our freezer right now.” The average wait in the Marché has not been dramatically affected because the registers have been moved around to accommodate a better flow, and as a result the lines move fairly quickly, Caglione said. In Harris Millis, however, the wait has nearly doubled. “The World View line is always about 15 minutes long,” first year Eden Pirog said. “It’s where all the healthy and interesting options are, but sometimes it really throws off my schedule.”