Students give support for migrant workers

Students rallied against the deportation of a migrant rights leader Oct. 3 outside Bailey/ Howe Library.

Miguel Alcudia could potentially be thrown out of the country.

“Not one more, not one more,” the protesters chanted while holding up signs that read “Free Miguel.”

Students joined protesters across the state who hope to end Alcudia’s detention.

Alcudia rose as a leader after he lost two years worth of wages at the hands of his employer, according to the Migrant Justice website.

Migrant Justice is an organization that works to raise concerns of human rights in the farming community in Vermont, the website states.

The organization raises concerns about issues many migrant workers face such as access to housing and health care.

“[Alcudia] is an important figure in his community and his continued detention does harm not only to [him] but to the farmworker movement for human rights that he has led,” the website states.

Alcudia is currently being detained in the Stafford County House of Corrections in New Hampshire on $21,000 bail after his arrest Sept. 22.

He was arrested on the claim that he had overstayed his visa, according to the website.

Alcudia is known throughout the community as a leader in the Vermont justice movement, said Kailee Brickner-McDonald, director of the Dewey House for Community Engagement.

Migrant justice leaders comment that this is the second leader in Migrant Justice to be detained in the past three months.

This is the second protest this year, with one for Victor Diaz occurring in May 2015, sophomore Liam O’Sullivan said.

There will be a letter writing campaign in University Heights South sometime next week, McDonald said.