Students receive fake plane tickets

University students who book flights through travel agencies may have to take a closer look at their tickets and bank statements. 

Twenty students traveling to China this summer for a UVM class were turned away at the airport for having fraudulent tickets, according to the Burlington Free Press.

The students booked their trip through travel agent Margaret J. Corrigan, who is being charged with larceny, credit card fraud and identity theft after a Boston-based Secret Service investigation tracked down unwanted credit card charges, the Gloucester Times reported.

Some of the students affected reported fraudulent charges on their credit card statements, with one reporting a withdrawal of $2,700 on a credit card.

With the charges being brought to light, some students said they are concerned at Corrigan’s attempt to steal from students.

“I think it’s sad that someone would go this low,” sophomore Minh Lam said. “College students have a hard time with money as it is. It’s a hassle to get travel plans sorted out, let alone have someone steal your information in the process.”

Customers around the country reported similar thefts when booking with Corrigan’s company, Academic Travel Services. Police expect even more concerned customers to come forward as Corrigan’s charges begin to surface, according to the Times.

Customers from several states reported thousands of dollars stolen in credit card transactions; however, many are still concerned about refunding the tickets and seeing charges brought on Corrigan, the Times stated.