Tech expo to be held

Tech Jam, Vermont’s largest career fair and tech expo, is coming to Burlington from Oct. 28 to Oct. 29.   The technology expo is a chance for students to find out about exciting job and internship opportunities in the field of technology from 70 sponsors and exhibitors, according to their website.   “We started the Tech Jam in 2008; this is the fifth jam in four years,” Cathy Resmer, associate publisher of Seven Days, said. “We see employment ads every week from local companies looking for employees and we noticed that there were lots of tech companies hiring.”   Tech Jam grew out of a concern that students were leaving Vermont because of a lack of career opportunity in the field of technology, Resmer said.   This year Tech Jam has grown to include more than 70 companies including Google, Fletcher Allen Health Care and MicroStrain, according to the Tech Jam website.   “These groups came together to organize the first annual Vermont 3.0: Creative Tech Career Jam,” their website stated. “It was an ‘ultimate job fair’— many of the 50+ exhibitors were actively looking for employees to fill good-paying jobs.”   These companies and sponsors are offering opportunities in software development, information architecture, engineering, sales, marketing, customer support, business development, research, technical writing and more, the website stated.   Some students said it is great to be able to contact all of these companies in one place.   “I’m from a place with a huge biotech industry and here it’s harder to find opportunities without searching for them,” first-year Isabel Schooler said.    The program for the event includes an innovation workshop with Google and Dealer.com.       “Many of the companies exhibiting are actively hiring or scouting for talent,” the website stated.   There will also be an opportunity to meet with members of Middlebury College’s Solar Decathlon team and to check out an alternative energy race car created by UVM students.   The Tech Jam will run this weekend on Oct. 28 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Oct. 29 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the former Borders building on 29 Church St.