Tensions soar with F-35 jets proposal

Flying Tuesday through Friday with 12 takeoffs per day, the roar of F-16 jets has been a feature of life in the city of Burlington since 1994.Lawmakers proposed the deployment of F-35 fighter jets to replace the F-16 fleet at the Burlington air base last year, leading to a summer of protests, op-eds and rallies for and against the implementation of the jets. The potential new deployment of F-35 jets has launched outcries of opposition among Burlington area residents, who maintain that the deployment would interfere with local safety, quality of life and environmental integrity. However, proponents of the plan stand by the potential benefits of the basing including the creation of over 1,000 local jobs. A website organized in opposition to the F-35, stopthef35.com, argued that the F-35 basing is unjust because the homes of 8,600 working class and moderate income people will be ?not suitable for residential use? as a result. The website also claims that the F-35 will be 400 percent as loud as the current F-16. There have been different numbers circulating regarding this statistic.However, students have said they often hear the roar of jets flying in and out of the South Burlington air base throughout the weekdays as they fly directly over athletic campus. ?I understand the need for additional F-35 jets, but it?s also concerning since it provides a disturbance for students and citizens sleeping and studying,? first-year Michaela Paul said. ?I have adjusted to the noise of the loud F-35 jets and understand the necessity, but the noise can be disturbing at times.?Despite the grassroots opposition against the F-35 jets, proponents of the plan believe many are ignoring the potential benefits of the deployment, both on the local and national levels.The implementation of the F-35 jets would ensure the retention of 1,100 Vermonters? jobs as they would replace the F-16?s that will be retired between 2018-2020, President of the Greater Burlington Industrial Corporation and UVM board of trustees? member Frank Cioffi said. ?The Air Guard [also] supplies all fire and rescue services for Burlington annually,? Cioffi said. ?That saves Burlington $6.2 million a year. They own fire trucks, ambulances, buildings and personnel for those programs; Burlington doesn?t pay for any of that.?If the government decides to use Burlington as the base for the F-35 jets, all concerns and issues from noise to ?you name it? will be mitigated, he said.?From and economic standpoint this is about a retention of jobs and saving Burlington money,? Cioffi said. The Burlington City Council was scheduled to vote on a resolution to prohibit the basing of the F-35 Oct. 7. However, city council recently postponed the discussion after the city attorney discovered a lack of required insurance for the airport.City Council President Joan Shannon announced at the Oct. 7 meeting that the issue will be brought up at the meeting Oct. 28.?