Thank you President Bush

Within several hours of Barack Obama taking the oath, many Americans had already forgotten the legacy of one of our greatest presidents. There are a lot of lessons to be learned, and gratitude due for the hard work of President Bush on behalf of the safety and well-being of the American public. How could people criticize so severely a man who has devoted his life to public service and hasn’t faltered in the face of evil? We feel much more admiration for a man who leads with the good principles that we as Americans elected him upon, rather than one who falters on his opinions in the face of opposition. Bush is often the scapegoat of those who have chosen to bear a grudge against him, though his accomplishments are numerous. He supported tax cuts when money was plentiful, arguing that taxpayer dollars belong to the taxpayers, not the federal government. He declined to renew the Brady Bill, a piece of unnecessary gun control legislation. He also signed into law the No Child Left Behind Act, which has had varied success, but was enacted with the best of intentions. Though the preemptive Bush Doctrine is controversial to many, it has been nearly eight years since we have had a successful attack on American soil. The global war on terror is greater than the existence of weapons of mass destruction. It is a conflict that spans across borders and ideologies, and threatens democratic societies across the world. The commander-in-chief of the United States has two essential responsibilities to the American people. One is to run the country as a business – to promote fair and honest fiscal accountability. Yes, Bush’s spending has been great, but we are a country at war, and unexpected expenditures and sacrifices have to be made. The other is the protection of the country – and in this regard he has succeeded admirably. Hard decisions had to be made in the first decade of the 21st century and the president was dealt a bad hand with faulty and conflicting intelligence. Bush never said that it would be easy. He has been optimistic, upfront and honest while persevering against our enemies abroad. All of this in the face of domestic and international pressure to abandon our cause – forgetting those who have worked so hard to ensure continued democratic freedom in the 21st century. Thank you for your service, Mr. President.