The women’s hockey team falls to UConn

The UVM women’s hockey team played No. 10 UConn close all game, however, the Huskies proved to be too much for the Catamounts, who lost for the first time this season, 2-1. UConn took a 1-0 lead less than eight minutes into the game when Jody Sydor tipped a shot through the legs of UVM’s junior goaltender Kristen Olychuck. They then added a second goal five minutes into the second period when UConn’s top goal scorer, Dominique Thibault, slid a one-timer past the leg of Olychuck. Vermont didn’t get on the board until the beginning of the third period when sophomore Teddy Fortin pounded home a rebound that had bounced off the pad of UConn goalie Brittany Wilson. Olychuck kept UVM in the game late, with a total of 21 saves, but the Cats couldn’t find the twine in the remaining minutes, ending the scoring at 2-1 UConn. Despite the loss, head coach Tim Bothwell still saw some positives from his team. “When we’re moving our feet, we’re a very good team, and that’s what kept us nose to nose with [UConn] today,” Bothwell said. “They’re a top ten team and we played them very hard.” The team knows well how to stay positive after losses, as losing is something the team has been familiar with in past seasons. However, losing doesn’t look like it’s going to be a trend this year if the Cats play the way that they did on Saturday, hanging with one of the toughest teams in the country. UVM is now 2-1-0 on the season, notching both wins coming at Union two weekends ago.Vermont has a tough upcoming schedule at home when Cornell comes to town for a two game series next weekend. Then UVM will hit the road for matchups against tough conference foes in Boston College and New Hampshire.