Track and Field Sprints to the Finish

When the stakes are high, sophomore Jan Carlson can do it all. The UVM sophomore placed in all five of the events she competed in this weekend at the America East Indoor Track and Field champion-ships held at Boston Univer-sity.Carlson, last year’s Amer-ica East rookie of the year and defending champion in the 55-meter dash kept her crown for a second year. She set a new school re-cord and more en route to getting the “High-point award” at the championship meet, garnering 23.25 points for UVM. Carlson accounted for nearly a third of the team total of 79, leading them to a fifth-place team finish.To receive those acco-lades, Carlson also finished second in the 200-meter dash, eighth in the long jump and sixth in the triple jump.She also ran as a member of UVM’s fourth-place win-ning 4×400-meter relay team alongside teammate and fel-low America East champion, junior Carmen Lagala.Lagala, the defending champion in the 800-meter run, has been undefeated at distances greater than 400 meters this season and con-tinued that streak with a time of 2:08, beating her nearest competitor by more than two seconds.Perhaps the biggest sur-prise of the day was the performance of freshman Shayna Dougherty who not only finished fifth in the high jump but also received sec-ond-place points in the pen-tathlon, narrowly losing to Albany sophomore Kamilah McShine.The women’s team had a doubly strong showing in the mile as well, with freshman Alyson Millett and junior Diana Purtz taking fifth and eighth respectively. In addition, Millett placed seventh in the 1000-meter run and Purtz would finish eighth in the 3000-meter run.In the throwing events, it was all Nichole Goodwin. The UVM junior placed third in the shot put and tenth in the weight throw, getting valu-able points for the team to-tal.On the men’s side, UVM senior Sean Steinhagen end-ed his America East indoor track and field career with a flourish, placing eighth and fifth in the mile and 1000-me-ter run respectively.Also placing for the men was freshman Justin Scric-ca who finished fourth while breaking the UVM record in the 400-meter dash with a time of 49.04 seconds. In the 500-meter dash, sophomore David Hanss gave a strong showing, finishing fifth while just missing out on the UVM record by two-hun-dredths of a second.Unfortunately, Steinhagen was the only member of the men’s team to place in more than one individual event leading them to finish eighth out of nine teams at a meet in which the eventual winner was Albany.Carlson, Lagala and Stein-hagen all qualified to keep competeting the indoor track and field postseason in the coming weeks. Carlson and Steinhagen qualified for the ECAC cham-pionship meet in the 55-meter dash and in the 1000-meter run and mile, respectively. Lagala reached the NCAA provisional qualifying time in maintaining her unbeaten streak in the 800-meter run.Select Catamounts will also compete at Boston Uni-versity again next weekend for the New England Cham-pionships