Track Ladies Break Records

University of Vermont junior captain Kristal Kostiew (Northwood, N.H.) broke her own school record in the 20-pound weight while sophomore Anne Morrison (Lyndonville, Vt.) broke her own school record in the pole vault at the Husky Invitational Track and Field meet Friday night. Kostiew, an eight-time America East individual champion and the reigning New England champion in the hammer throw, threw 59 feet, 11-3/4 inches while finishing second. That effort was 10-1/4 inches better than her previous record, set in early January at Dartmouth. Kostiew also finished 10th in the shot put (43-4-1/4). Morrison broke her own record in the pole vault, clearing the bar at 11-feet. She owns both the indoor and outdoor pole vault records and is one of the top pole vaulters in New England. Other highlights included junior captain Tee Gingras (Barre, Vt.) finishing sixth in the 1,000 meters, clocking in at 2:55.98. That time qualified Gingras for the upcoming ECAC Championship, and was less than a second off the UVM record. Sara Lovell (Westminster, Vt.) was ninth in the shot put (43-4-1/2) and Vermont’s distance medley relay team of Tessa Auwarter (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.), Michele Palmer (Plymouth, Mass.), Gingras and Katy Jackson (Saco, Maine) was sixth in 12:37.4. Vermont finished 11th as a team with 14 points. -SportsInfo