Tuesday’s With Martha

Dear Martha, My friends and I like to go out on the weekend. We go to parties or downtown. We go as a group so we don’t usually worry about anything bad happening, but one girl said that her friend from home was raped after being given a date rape drug, she had no idea it was happening! What are date rape drugs and how would I know if someone gave me one? If I am drugged is there anything I can do? Signed, Worried, but I don’t want to stay home!Dear Worried,It is great that you travel as a group. People who are with friends are safer than ones who are alone. If you tend to drink alcohol, it would be best if at least one person didn’t drink to keep an eye out for the rest of you. Date rape drug are drugs that incapacitate the victim and in many cases, impair memory. There are 3 common date rape drugs, Rohypnol (roofies), GHB (liquid X) and Ketamine (Special K). Unfortunately, these usually dissolve easily in drinks and have little if any taste or appearance (maybe a little salty, a little foamy or a slight color change) so unless you witness someone putting it in your drink, you rarely know it is there until you start to feel the effects. They act quickly, usually within 15-30min. Initially, it can feel like you are buzzed, just more quickly than you would normally expect. Date rape drugs can cause loss of consciousness, coordination, impaired thinking and loss of memory. These effects can last between 6-12 hours. You may have been drugged if you are drinking alcohol and you feel more buzzed sooner than you think you should. If this happens, tell a friend and don’t mess, get medical attention immediately. It could be life threatening. Make sure that your urine is tested for the presence of these drugs. If you wake with a hang over, memory lapses and you feel uncomfortable in the genital area you may have been the victim of date rape and you need to be seen by a medical professional as soon as possible. To prevent being drugged, get your own drinks and watch them being made. Better yet, drink bottled beverages you open yourself. Keep your drink with you at all times. If you have to leave it, toss it. If your drink looks funny or tastes funny, don’t drink it. Remember, date rape drugs don’t have to be given in alcohol, it just makes you less wary. Stay alert and watch out for your friends. For more information visit the Center for Health & Wellbeing and Women’s Center websites www.uvm.edu/health/?Page=daterapedrug.html, www.uvm.edu/~women/?Page=sadrug.htmlSincerely,Martha