Turn on, tune in, support UVMtv

Smile, youre on UVMtv.But you might not be for long. After several years of rent disputes with the Davis Center, UVMtv might be changing scenes.They have avoided paying a $25,000 rent until now, having vowed to be more active and involved in students lives, yet it seems their spot in the Davis Center is slipping away.As a fairly young student organization and one that collects little to no money through advertising, paying a rent as high as this is hard. In fact, they are forced to operate on older cameras due to their low revenue, which further decreases their advertising possibilities.Their space is not designated as a student organization space, therefore the use by any organization or company would require this rent.And yes, if UVMtv was kicked out, the University would be collecting money that could be used to improve other aspects of the on-campus experience.But why does UVMtv get the shorter lens, so to speak?They are a growing student media organization and they need all the space and money they can get in order to improve the foundation they created over the last 12 years.And it starts with having a place to film in a prominent spot on campus.The last thing they need is someone breathing down their necks about money that they dont have and wont have until they get a chance to develop their presence.Mr. Josey, its fair to establish goals and expectations to monitor progress for a club like UVMtv if they have access to a space for free. But its not fair to require this money from a student club just to pocket a few extra dollars from, say, a barbershop or a bank.Plus theres a completely unused space further down the hall and were pretty sure that UVMtv has more of an effect on students than the ghost of Peoples United.So give UVMtv a chance and set up a transparent plan of action.For now well just hope that the next episode of Dirty Pop isnt filmed from the sketchy basement in Billings.