Union Defeats Vermont in Men’s Hockey

Union’s Jason Visser scored twice as the Dutchmen notched three power-play goals, and sophomore goalie Kris Mayotte recorded 32 saves in a 5-1 win over Vermont in Division I men’s hockey action Saturday at refurbished Messa Rink. The game marked the return of Catamount head coach Kevin Sneddon to the Schenectady school, where he spent the last 10 years – five as an assistant coach and five as the head coach – before coming to UVM in June of 2003. As was the case Friday night in the 7-1 loss at Rensselaer, penalties hurt the Catamounts against the Dutchmen as well. Vermont was called for eight minor penalties, one five-minute major along with a 10-minute misconduct and a game misconduct. “We were just undisciplined tonight,” Sneddon said following the game. “I think it’s frustration right now. They are so hungry for a win that they are playing almost too emotional in terms of tempers. You have to learn within the game what you can and can’t get away with in terms of officiating. He (referee Jack Dunn) was obviously watching it pretty close and we didn’t adapt, and as a result we spent an awful lot of time in the penalty box and guys get more frustrated and selfishness creeps in and that’s really the name of the game. For a certain period of time I thought we played pretty well, but it was a very brief period of time.” Vermont, 0-7-2 overall and 0-4-0 in the ECAC, took a quick 1-0 lead when freshman defenseman Evan Stoflet made a nice move at center ice and broke down the left wing before shooting from a sharp angle and beating Mayotte. The goal, Stoflet’s second this season, came at 2:45 and was assisted by Scott Mifsud and Brady Leisenring. Union, 7-2-1 overall and 2-1-1 in ECAC play, countered with a pair of goals, the first coming on the power play. Junior Joel Beal scored his fourth of the year from the left circle at 6:49 with Vermont a man down, and sophomore Scott Seney scored his ninth of the season at 10:21 after some nice passing down low. Freshman winger Olivier Bouchard assisted on both goals for the Dutchmen. In the final minute of the first period, Vermont’s Jaime Sifers was whistled off for cross-checking, while Beal went off for unsportsmanlike conduct and Miles was given a 10-minute misconduct for arguing the call on Sifers. Shortly after Sifers returned to the ice, he was sent off again, this time for the game after a five-minute major and a game misconduct were assessed for hitting from behind. With 1:53 left in Union’s five-minute power play, Vermont’s Chris Mounsey was penalized for a high sticking (contact to the head), giving the Dutchmen a 5-on-3 power play for nearly two minutes. With six seconds to go in the 5-on-3, Union scored when Jason Visser scored from the slot at 7:06 of the middle frame. After that, things settled down a bit, with Vermont carrying the play in the final eight minutes of the second period with some good corner work and hustle in the offensive zone by freshmen Chris Myers, Dan Owens and Ryan Gunderson and the Tim Plant-Baron Becker-Jeff Corey line, among others. “Credit Union,” Sneddon said. “They played a great game and capitalized on their chances and we did not.” -Athletic Communications