UVM Greek life welcomes new sorority

For the first time in 31 years, UVM Greek life will be accepting a new National Panhellenic sorority.The women of Kappa Beta Gamma (KBG), a regional sorority, are going to join a National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) sorority and bring it to UVM, KBG advisor Tatiana Sosa said.KBG will no longer exist and the women will become a part of whichever NPC sorority they choose, she said.The process is called extension, which means that the University is opening up the Greek community to allow another group in, Sosa said.”Kappa Beta Gamma was formed as a PanHell interest group,” Panhellenic President Ali Hollman said. “They have proposed extension two times before this but it was never passed until now, and we are all very excited.”The new addition will bring UVM’s total number of NPC sororities to five.”For Greek life it is big step in the right direction. Having more options available only broadens how many people are going to go through recruitment,” Sosa said. “It’s always good to have options.”Hollman said she believes the change will not only be beneficial for the women of KBG but also for Greek life as a whole.”I think it is going to bring a stronger sisterhood among all of the chapters. I think this is going to make people realize that we are a community and we are there to support one another and not just try and build strength within our own chapters,” Hollman said.KBG President Brittany Scancarella said that it has always been the dream of the members to become a NPC organization.”I think that our only fear is that our smaller group will become distant as we continue to grow, but I am confident that the bonds of sisterhood that we have formed over the course of this year will not only withstand the transition but strengthen as we grow together within a new organization,” she said.The extension committee, a group put together to select the NPC sorority for KBG, will make their decision on May 7.”It is so exciting. Obviously with change comes hesitation, and there are people that are hesitant about this, but I think it is only going to make our community stronger,” Hollman said. “These women have worked so hard to get this recognition, I am just so happy for them and the Greek community.”