UVM police reviewed

Last Tuesday, two representatives of a national police accreditation program held an open hearing on campus to evaluate how the UVM Police Department is fulfilling its standards.The program, called Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA), lists standards that a police department desiring accreditation must meet.Police departments are assessed on administration, use of force, victim rights, crime prevention, communications with dispatchers and quality of record-keeping of evidence and finances, UVM Accreditation Manager Susan Lowrey said. Two CALEA police representatives from across the country , Assistant Chief of Police Tom Engells from the University of Texas at Houston and Chief Anthony Purcell from University of Alabama at Birmingham, were in attendance.As an assessor, Engells takes the testimony from members of the community for the CALEA commission, which purposely chooses assessors from far away states to prevent bias.”Then the reaccreditation is basically coming back and making sure that you’re following your standards, policies and practices, and that you’re staying current with the most contemporary tools that are available,” UVM Police Chief Tuomey said, who also attended the meeting.Lianne Tuomey said that the department was under no impetus to get accredited, other than a desire to self-improve.Engells will write a recommendation based on findings that will be reviewed in November in Salt Lake City.