Filed under Campus, News

UVM raises Black Lives Matter flag

A photo of a Black Lives Matter flag flying outside the Davis Center has garnered national media attention.

UVM’s African, Latino(a), Asian and Native American Student Center will be hosting a “Black Out” event to support the flag being raised, sophomores Akilah Ho-Young and Haydee Miranda said in a Sept. 23 email to the ALANA community.

The purpose of the Black Out, is to welcome people of color and their alliances to dress in all black attire on Monday September 26, 2016,” they said. “The initiative of this event is to embrace the Black Lives Matter flag that was recently raised to pay tribute the tragic deaths within our community.”

At 4:30 p.m. the ALANA community will gather in front of the Black Lives Matter flag to take a photo of everyone wearing black attire, Ho-Young and Miranda said.

SGA sponsored the flag’s placement, which was raised Thursday, SGA Vice President Tyler Davis said.

Ho-Young posted a photo on Facebook Sept. 22 that has been shared over 4000 times.

“Every single person in this world is cherished by somebody. So we protect everybody. Because every person killed is someone losing their baby. That’s why we fight. Thank you UVM. I don’t always feel proud of you, but today I do,” she posted.

Commenters on local news station WCAX expressed concerned for the prominence of the flag on the campus.

“All lives matter, but no flag should be flown at the same height as our American flag,” Chad Cameron, a facebook commentator, stated.

The Black Lives Matter one-issue movement was founded after the death of Trayvon Martin in 2013, according to the organization’s website.

“Black Lives Matter is an ideological and political intervention in a world where Black lives are systematically and intentionally targeted for demise,” according to the website.

The Black Lives Matter movement has received both national support and backlash. Some say the movement deems other lives invisible.

About the Writer
Kelsey Neubauer, Former Editor-in-chief
Kelsey Neubauer is a junior at the University of Vermont, majoring in English. Kelsey joined in January 2015. In October 2016, she was made the Editor-in-chief. She was a news writer and the assistant news editor for over a year. Kelsey worked with the Enterprise section from October 2015 until August 2016.  She occasionally wrote for...