UVM replaces withering shrubs with new, partially gifted sign

Out with the old shrub-and-flower decorated UVM sign and in with a new, shiny $171,000 one. 

The administration decided the sign needed to undergo construction after hearing from several visitors that it was not clear to them where the campus began, Vice President for Finance and Administration Richard Cate said.

“The University hired a local landscape architecture firm H. Keith Wagner Partnership to design the wall and surrounding landscape based on the concepts described in the Campus Master Plan,” Director of Capital Planning and Management Bob Vaughan said.

Half of the cost of the sign was funded by a gift from the family of a 2013 graduate and the other half from savings on other campus projects, Vaughan said.

“Different designs were considered … The construction involved excavation for the foundation, installation of a base to which the marble was then attached and the attachment of the letters,” Cate said. “It is made of Champlain (Vermont) marble.”

Responses to the sign have ranged from positive to negative. Sophomore transfer student Emily Stollman said she thinks the sign is a nice touch. 

“I think if the school has enough money to spend on something like that then it’s totally fine as long as more important issues are taken care of first,” Stollman said. “UVM is a cool school it deserves a cool sign.”