V for Very Worthy

It seems as though the 21st century is the perfect time and place to exercise one’s First Amendment right. And, especially with all the crap being produced in the media world as evidence, people are taking advantage of their “freedom of the press” in all the wrong ways. (Snakes on a Plane, anyone?)V for Vendetta, the most recent undertaking for Matrix masterminds, the Wachowski brothers (who are writers and producers this time) and their loyal second-hand director James McTeigue (stepping up to direct) was adapted from the graphic novel of the 1980’s originally written by Alan Moore. It involves a freedom-fighting terrorist, V, (Hugo Weaving) as the “good guy” as well as lines such as “violence can be used as good” and “sometimes blowing up a building can change the world.” While this concept is hard to grasp for some, it is a secret desire for others. Set in a 1984-esque Britain of the future totalitarianism rules, inflicting social conformity, hidden cameras, and a media-frantic society, seen largely revolving around one particular “news” anchor, Lewis Prothero (Roger Allam), who makes Fox News’ “The O’Reily Factor” look like something from PBS. So when Evey (impressively played by Natalie Portman), a young dispensable worker trapped in the 9-5 working world at the television station, is rescued one night by V, armed with knives, explosives and a grinning Guy Fawkes mask, she is witness to his explosion of the Statue of Justice and, from then on, like it or not, she is a part of V’s subversive scheme to save Britain escalading into complete anarchy in the best way possible.While the perpetually smiling mask occasionally takes away from V’s emotions underneath, it is tastefully symbolic and even when Evey kisses the grinning mask lips, it’s not too weird. V for Vendetta is not political-party neutral, so be forewarned. But let the movie speak for itself; don’t let your opinions obstruct its possibilities.