Vermont Runs Past Montmorency in Women’s Basketball

The University of Vermont women’s basketball team used a balanced attack as it rolled to an 83-37 victory over the College of Montmorency in an exhibition game at Patrick Gym. All five Vermont starters reached double figures, led by junior Danielle Sabourin’s (Sarnia, Ontario) 16 points. Sabourin was 7-for-10 from the field and dished out a team-high nine assists. Senior Aaron Yantzi (Waterloo, Ontario), an America East Preseason All-Conference selection, posted a double-double with 14 points and a team-high 12 rebounds. Lani Boardman (York, Maine) chipped in 14 points, eight rebounds and three assists, while Tiffany Spinka (Albany, N.Y.) added 11 points and six boards. Junior Katie McNamara (Essex Junction, Vt.) rounded out the starting five, scoring 13 points and grabbing seven rebounds. Freshman Jamilah Corbitt (Washington, D.C.) led the newcomers with 10 points in 24 minutes. Sophomore Chrissy Battram (Parkhill, Ontario) added four points and seven assists in the contest. Vermont opened the game with an 6-0 run and went on to hold the Nomades scoreless for a 12 minute stretch in the stanza. UVM took a 48-10 lead into halftime. The Catamounts shot a scorching 64.7% from the field, while holding Montmorency to 14.8%. Vermont’s shooting fell off in the second half, but the Catamounts still outscored Montmorency 35-27 in the second period. Vermont finished the game shooting 47.9% from the field and out rebounded Montmorency 44 to 34 and 17 to nine on the offensive glass. The Catamounts open the 2003-04 season next weekend when they host the 10th Annual Banknorth Classic. Vanderbilt squares off against South Alabama at 6:00pm on Friday, November 21st and Vermont faces St. Francis (N.Y.) in the nightcap of the doubleheader at 8:00pm. The Banknorth consolation and championship games are slated for 6:00pm and 8:00pm, respectively, on Saturday, November 22nd. Catch all the action on WVMT-620 AM and on the Internet at Sportjuice.com. Tickets can be purchased online at UVM’s official athletic web site – www.uvmathletics.com – or by calling the UVM Athletic Ticket Office at 1-866-4-CAT-TIX or 802-656-4410.-Athletic Communications