Vermont Softball Takes a Very Hard Turn Against Hartford and Boston U.

The University of Hartford softball team earned a pair of victories over Vermont, 8-3 and 5-0, to sweep Vermont and earn its first conference wins of the season on the first day of a two-day, four-game series between the two schools. In game one, Hartford scored three runs in the second and added four more in the third inning for the 8-3 victory. Angie Totaro, the America East Pitcher of the Week, allowed eight runs on 11 hits for Vermont. In game two, Hartford scored three runs in its first at bat and rode the arm of pitcher Jamie Graves. Graves tossed a one-hitter and struck out four batters with no walks to lead the Hawks to a 5-0 shutout win. Samantha Morrison went 2-for-3 at the plate, scored one run and drove in one RBI to lead Hartford at the plate. Totaro accounted for UVM’s only hit of the game. Then in the final day of the four-game series, Hartford squeaked out an 8-7 victory in eight innings and earned a 2-0 shutout in the nightcap to take all four games from the Catamounts. In game one (three of the series), Vermont plated four runs in the top of the third inning to take a 5-3 lead over Hartford. UVM scored all four runs with two outs, taking advantage of some timely miscues by Hartford and hits by Samantha Chase, Caitlin Quinn, and Kristy Winberg. The Hawks tied the score up at 5-5 with two runs in the bottom of the fourth. Vermont’s Megan Long answered with a two-run homer in the top of the sixth to give the Catamounts a 7-5 lead. It was Long’s fourth homerun of the year, setting a new single-season Vermont record, snapping the old mark of three homers held by five different players that dated back to 1996. Long also ties the all-time homerun mark as increased her total to six for her career. The Catamounts couldn’t hold the lead as the Hawks scored two runs in their final at bat to force extra innings. Hartford pitcher Caitlin Eichler retired the Vermont side in order in the top of the eighth. In the bottom of the eighth, freshman Samantha Morrison hit a two-out double to left field and advanced to third on a single by Mallory Rapoza. Morrison scored the game-winning run on a wild pitch by Vermont’s Angie Totaro to end the game. In the nightcap, Hartford scored one run in the bottom of the fourth and fifth innings and pitcher Jamie Graves tossed a three-hitter to lead the Hawks to the 2-0 victory. Long, Winberg and Heidi Gebo accounted for Vermont’s three hits in the game. Kara Massey went the distance on the mound for Vermont and registered five strikeouts. The Catamounts moved to 5-15 overall and 3-9 in America East, while the Hartford stands at 5-14 overall and 4-5 in the league. UVM returned to action on Friday, April 18 and Saturday, April 19, taking on Boston University at Post Field. The Boston University Terriers earned two shutout victories, 4-0 and 8-0 (6 inn.), to sweep Vermont in the first day of a four-game series between the two schools. The Terriers scored four runs in the first three innings and rode out the game on the arm of 2002 America East Pitcher of the Year Julie Henneke. She tossed a complete game three-hitter and struck out 10 batters, while yielding just two walks. Henneke and teammate Abbey Pauley registered two hits each to lead Boston University in game one. Angie Totaro registered seven strikeouts, but picked up the loss on the mound for Vermont. In game two, BU held a 1-0 lead through three innings, but broke things open with a four-run fourth inning. Jenni Shields started the rally, reaching base on a Vermont error. With the bases loaded, Josey Mendez’s base hit drove in two runs. Two batters later, teammate Jamie Haas drove in two more runs to give the Terriers a 5-0 lead. BU added three more runs in the sixth to close out the game. Haas finished the game with three hits and two RBI, while Mendez plated two runs, posted two hits and registered two RBI. Erin McDonald earned the shutout, scattering four hits and striking out five batters. Vermont and BU closed out the four-game series Saturday with a doubleheader at noon. The Terriers earned two more shutout victories, 9-0 and 3-0, to sweep Vermont in the four-game series. BU improves to 19-16 overall and remains atop the America East softball standings with a 9-1 mark. Vermont falls to 5-19 overall and 3-13 in America East. The Catamounts return to action on Tuesday when they host Albany for a conference doubleheader at 2:00pm. -SportsInfo