Winter Vacation News Briefs

Dec. 5An apparent murder-suicide took the lives of former UVM professor Tony S. Keller, 51, recent UVM graduate Karmen A. Anderson, 23, and Anderson’s boyfriend Corey Crandall, 22, in Tampa Bay, Florida. An alleged romantic relationship between Anderson and Keller led Crandall to shoot them, before killing himself, according to The Burlington Free Press.Dec. 12Burlington resident Ellen Ducharme, 40, was sentence to 25 years in prison for killing her cocaine dealer, Ligia Rae Collins, in order to steal cocaine. Ducharme violently murdered the mother of two – with whom she was well acquainted – over two years ago, according to The Burlington Free Press.Dec. 16Hundreds of UVM undergraduates and graduate students were recognized at the December commencement celebration at Ira Allen Chapel.Dec. 31Burlington’s First Night on Church Street celebrated its 24th year with 1,000 performing artists, which included dancers, music, magic, art and theater, according to The Burlington Free Press.Jan. 1A new sales tax on beer was implemented on New Years Day. The tax is 6% statewide and 7% in Burlington, and goes along with the already established tax on wine. The new tax will add 45 cents to the average six-pack, according to local press reports. Governor Jim Douglas sworn into his third term in office in which he spoke about a technologicallyprogressive future for Vermont as an “e-state,” according to local press reports.Jan. 4Lakeside Pharmacy on Pearl Street was robbed around 1 p.m. by a man who was armed with a knife. The robber took cash and prescription drugs, before fleeing on foot, according to the Burlington police press release. No arrests have been made.