Women Lose To Holy Cross But Bury Stony Brook

Holy Cross sophomore Maggie Fontana scored a career-high 29 points and narrowly missed a triple-double with eight assists and eight rebounds as the Crusaders earned a 74-62 victory over visiting Vermont in the Catamounts final non-conference game of the season. The Crusaders continued to execute on the offensive end and took a 50-35 lead on a jumper by Conte with 13:41 left in the game. An 11-5 spurt by the Catamounts, capped by a three-point play by Theresa LaRocque brought UVM back to within seven points with 6:49 left to play. Unfortunately, that’s as close as the Catamounts would get. The Crusaders would get their lead back to double-digits and went on to win 74-62. With the victory, Holy Cross avenges last season’s loss to Vermont at Patrick Gym in the first round of the WNIT. That victory marked UVM’s first-ever national postseason victory. For the Crusaders, Jessica Conte finished the game with 11 points, while teammate Mary Rose Campbell posted a double-double with 11 points and a game-high 10 rebounds. Holy Cross shot 48.3% from the field and outscored Vermont 26 to 6 in second chance points. Senior Morgan Hall led the Catamounts with a team-high 18 points and grabbed four rebounds. Aaron Yantzi, who sat out the previous two games with a bad back, returned to the court to contribute 14 points and a team-high seven rebounds. Dawn Cressman added 12 points, five rebounds and five assists. The Catamounts shot 47% from the field for the game. Vermont (12-6) returned to action on Saturday when it hosted Stony Brook at the Patrick Gym. Senior Dawn Cressman scored a team-high 15 points, grabbed nine rebounds and handed out five assists to lead Vermont past visiting Stony Brook, 83-58, in the Catamounts biggest league victory of the season. Vermont (13-6, 5-3) jumped out to a 9-0 lead to start the game and never looked back. A three-pointer by Cressman at 10:58 gave UVM a 20-6 lead. Stony Brook (6-14, 4-5) would put together a 6-0 spurt to close the game to five points, 24-19 with 6:02 left in the first half, but that’s as close as the Seawolves would get the remainder of the game. UVM closed out the half with a 10-2 run to take a 34-21 lead into the locker room. Vermont continued to play aggressive defense and attack Stony Brook on the offensive end in the second half. A three-pointer by Tiffany Spinka sparked an 8-0 run and gave Vermont a 24-point lead, 60-36, with 9:41 left in the contest. The Catamounts lead would grow to as many as 28 in the second half. The Catamounts were relentless on the boards, out rebounding Stony Brook 55-29 overall and 23-12 on the offensive glass. Sophomores Lani Boardman and Katie McNamara chipped in 14 points each. Boardman also grabbed eight rebounds and McNamara collected seven boards. Junior Aaron Yantzi added eight points and a game-high 10 rebounds. Stony Brook, playing with just seven players, was led by junior Sherry Jordan’s 16 points and eight rebounds. Bojana Bogetic added 15 points and Stephanie Barlett chipped in 12 pooints. The Catamounts return to action Wednesday when they travel to Binghamton for a 7:00pm America East game. UVM will be looking to earn their first league road victory of the season. -SportsInfo