Women’s Hockey Fares Better in Second Contest vs. Wayne State

Two third period goals by Jessica Haydahl and Laurie Petchar lifted Wayne State to a 2-0 victory over Vermont (3-15-2), in non-conference women’s hockey action at Gutterson Fieldhouse. Haydahl re-directed a shot on net by teammate Cheryl Anderson past UVM goaltender Tiffany Hayes for what proved to be the game winner at 9:32 of the final period. Petchar added the insurance goal at 14:13 converting a pass through the crease from Kim Spaulding. Both teams played through two scoreless periods with each having good scoring opportunities. Hayes finished the afternoon with 44 saves, while Anna Vander-Marliere made 28 saves to pick up the shutout for Wayne State (6-12-1). In the saturday rematch between the two teams, Wayne State’s Kelly Zamora scored two third-period goals but Vermont’s Jenny Agnew had two for the Catamounts in a 3-3 overtime tie. Wayne State took a 1-0 lead at the 8:11 mark of the first period when Kristi Thome ripped a shot from the point that eluded Vermont goaltender Kami Cote. Laurie Petchar and Katie Jones assisted on the goal. Vermont, 3-15-2, evened the score at 1-1 midway through the second period when Agnew scored on the power play. The goal was assisted by Heather Fifield and Abbey Kaknes. The Catamounts took a 2-1 lead late in the second period when freshman Lindsey Tilbury scored from the left circle. Agnew assisted on the goal, Tilbury’s third of the year. Wayne State tied it at 2-2 in the third period when Zamora tipped in a shot from the point at 6:10. Heidi Burns and Krissy Langley assisted on the tally, which came just after a Wayne State two-minute power play. The Warriors then took a 3-2 lead when Zamora scored her second at 17:18 of the third period. Agnew then scored her second of the game at the 17:53, tipping in a shot from Heather Fifield. Becky Daley also assisted on the goal, Agnew’s team-leading fifth of the year. Vermont goaltender Kami Cote had 40 saves in 65 minutes, while Wayne State goalie Katrina Hodgeson stopped 35. -SportsInfo