Women’s Ice Hockey

The women’s hockey season started on Sunday with a tie against Sacred Heart. This game not only marked the season-opener for the league but also Head Coach Dennis Miller’s ninth season as head coach and new Assistant Coach Emily McKissock’s first year. The team itself has six new additions, and Miller believes that this gives the team “more depth than we’ve ever had at the Division I level, we have 23 skaters.” Having a larger team not only adds depth but also leads to less easily earned ice time and “healthy competition.” This sense of competition doesn’t detract from the team spirit. Miller coaches with a very “there is no `i’ in team” style. “There is a real positive energy among the team,” he said, and he declined identifying a rising star or specific key players. Miller’s goal for the season is to get “tangible evidence that we are improving.” By this he means they need to score, they need to “increase offensive production.” The team definitely demonstrated that they were capable of scoring, but something was still missing and the team was unable to get that winning goal, ending the game tied with three goals each. “We’re off to a real good start, [the team is in the] best condition as individuals as they ever have been, we’ve been able to really work on the skills and the x’s and o’s,” Miller announced excitedly. Hopefully these Cats can take those x’s and o’s and make things happen on the ice and get some of that “tangible evidence.”