Women’s lacrosse drops two in a row

The women’s lacrosse team lost twice in the past week, including their first conference defeat at the hands of Boston University.Facing a speedy Harvard attack and a fierce wind that made Moulton Winder Field exceptionally chilly, the Cats dropped their matchup against the Crimson on Tuesday, March 25 by a score of 13-10.”We didn’t show up ready to play today,” head coach Jen Johnson said after the loss.”We played well in spurts, but it’s hard when you dig a deficit against a good team,” Johnson said. The beginning of the game was a back and forth affair, with each team netting a pair of goals in the opening fifteen minutes.Harvard’s Caroline Simmons started off the scoring with an unassisted goal just four minutes into the game by hurling a shot over the left shoulder of senior goalie Meaghan Hanley. Freshman Rachel Wilson answered for the Catamounts two minutes later, taking a pass from senior Emilie Clark and putting it by Crimson goalie KatherineMartino.With the score tied 2-2, Harvard pulled away in the final minutes of the second half off, making it 8-4 Harvard at the break. “We had a decision to make at halftime,” Johnson said. “Our kids decided to play in the second half.”The Catamounts came out firing in the opening minutes of the second half after Harvard head coach Lisa Miller made a peculiar decision to replace Martino with Kathryn Tylander in the net during the break.Vermont capitalized on the goalie change early on.Freshman Megan MacDonald scored just over a minute in to the second half off a pass from junior Kristen Millar.A minute and a half later, sophomore Alison Haigh scored on a free position shot. MacDonald scored again a minute later on an unassisted goal, pulling the Cats’ within one.However, that was as close as UVM would get. Harvard’s Kaitlin Martin scored with 10:22 remaining to make it 13-8, putting the game basically out of reach, though Haigh and MacDonald would tack on one more goal each to make the final score 13-10. UVM struggled with capitalizing on free position shots throughout the contest, scoring on just four of twelve opportunities compared to only four attempts by Harvard.”Overall, we were inconsistent,” Johnson said after the loss. “We need to get our intensity level up in practice and hope it translates to game time.”On Saturday, UVM looked to get off to a quick start against the no.11-ranked Boston University Terriers. Millar started the scoring early, netting a goal just over a minute into the contest. From there it was all BU as they ripped off six unanswered goals before MacDonald scored on a free position shot to make it 6-2. However, BU would end the first half on a 5-0 run to put them up 13-3 at the break.While UVM outscored the Terriers 5-2 in the second half, the game was never close as BU held on for their fifth straight win, 15-8. Millar and Haigh led the Catamounts in scoring with a pair of goals each. Millar now leads the team in goals with 24. Lauren Morton led the Terriers with five goals and Sarah Dalton added four more. The loss dropped UVM to 2-1 in conference play and 5-4 overall. The Cats will face off at Dartmouth on Tuesday before returning home to play Albany at home on Saturday, April 5.