Women’s lacrosse opens with a win

The women’s lacrosse team won their season opener by a score of 15-9 versus UConn on Friday.Vermont scored the first two goals of the game on scores by junior Tori Wasson and sophomore Sara Buxton.UConn retaliated with three straight goals, making the score 3-2 with 19:34 left in the half.The Cats responded with two more goals, one by Buxton and another by junior Kristen Millar, making the score 4-3 with just over 16 minutes left in the first half.Buxton scored her third goal, giving the Cats an 8-7 lead with 1:25 left in the half and sophomore Alison Haigh scored a goal with 33 seconds in the half giving the Cats a 9-7 lead going into halftime.UVM came out firing in the second half, scoring six straight goals and making the score 15-7. UConn scored the last two goals of the game, but coming up short and lost by a final of 15-9.Buxton led all scorers with six goals along with two assists.Millar contributed four goals and four assists en route to making history – her four assists makes her UVM’s all-time assist leader, passing Abigail Collins.Millar also piled up four draw controls, giving her 187 for her career and moving her into fifth place among the all-time leaders in NCAA Division I women’s lacrosse history.The Cats will face off at UMBC on Tuesday, March 4.