Women’s soccer wins home debut

It has been an up and down start for the 2008 UVM women’s soccer team.Despite being out-shot fourfold in their first three games, the women’s soccer team earned their first win under new head coach Kwame Lloyd against Central Connecticut on August 29. After a 3-0 loss at Navy in the Cats’ season opener, in which UVM was out-shot by a margin of 29-3, the Cats rebounded behind a superb performance by junior goalkeeper Eliza Bradley, who stopped seven shots on goal by the Blue Devils. UVM’s go-ahead goal came with just over 20 minutes in the game, when freshman forward Emily Perrin beat the defense and forced a shot past Central Connecticut keeper Caity Casey. Sophomore midfielder Gabby Bonfigli also chipped in a goal for the Cats.UVM closed the TD Banknorth Classic at Centennial Field with a 3-0 loss to Villanova, despite six saves from Bradley. On Friday, the Catamounts were blanked for the third time this year, this time by Hoosier Classic host Indiana, 5-0. The Hoosiers out-shot UVM by a 30-4 margin.The Cats’ struggle to find shots has to be the biggest concern thus far in a young season. Through four games, they have given up 90 shots while only attempting 20.This has put particular pressure on Bradley, who also split time with sophomore goalkeeper Jess Rosene in the loss to Indiana.UVM will return to Centennial Field on Friday at 4 p.m. where they will face off against non-conference foe Siena.