A supreme waste of your time

The Supreme Court of the United States of America must be really, really bored.  How else can you explain the fact that they are currently debating such an inane topic as whether or not a five-foot  cross is allowed to exist in the middle of the Mojave Desert?The cross in question was constructed 75 years ago as a War Memorial for soldiers that gave their lives in World War I.  It has stood virtually unnoticed since then — you can’t even see it from the highway.Recently, however, the memorial that many didn’t even know existed has been forced up on the national stage.  This is all thanks to an ACLU lawsuit filed on behalf of Frank Buono, a retired National Park serviceman.      Buono argues that the cross shouldn’t stand on government ground, and that the government showed religious favoritism when it denied a request to build a Buddhist temple near the cross.  Congress stepped in and made a ruling to transfer the land the cross stands on into the hands of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, thereby making the land private property.  This surprisingly clearheaded decision by Congress would end the dispute and return the five-foot monument back to the world of anonymity from whence it came.  But in a continuous effort to transform simple matters into a legal nightmare, the ACLU said this transfer of land was just an effort to “get around the constitutional violation.”That’s exactly what it was.  And you know what? It works.  The decision would remove the dilemma of church vs. state and allow the war memorial to remain standing.  Everybody wins. Instead, the ACLU has brought the matter to the Supreme Court — and due to an apparent lack of important decisions to make, the Supreme Court agreed to consider the case.  I know the nine justices haven’t had a Brown v. Board of Education or a Roe v. Wade thrown their way in a while, but there must be something more important going on.  Taxpayers are responsible for the judges’ salaries, and I’m sure they don’t want their money wasted on two pieces of wood thrown together in between some cactuses in California.  Right now that’s exactly what their dollar bills are going toward. As it stands now, the cross remains trapped in a plywood box so it can’t come alive at night and roam the countryside, converting people to Christianity in the name of the U.S. government.  And the Supreme Court gets to waste its valuable time debating non-issues.