Biden supports Obama 2012 campaign

?

With his phony smile and pressed suits in tow, Joe Biden is hitting the campaign trail once again on behalf of Obama. On March 6, the Huffington Post reported that Biden will give a series of speeches in states crucial to Obama’s reelection.

There are many things you could say about Joe Biden. Described by some as Obama’s best life insurance policy, he never fails to entertain. If his upcoming speeches resemble anything like his campaigning in 2008, late night TV viewers are in for a real treat.

Biden once described Obama in one of his finest moments in the 2008 Democratic primary campaign, “I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

Snarky comments aside, Biden launching a campaign calls attention to the role of the vice president. Yes, Biden is ridiculous, but in an ideal situation, how would the vice president behave and what would the responsibilities be? 

Historically, vice presidents have assumed purely ceremonial roles. Traditional duties include casting a vote in the event of a Senate deadlock, presiding over the Electoral College, and stepping in for the president if he – or she possibly one of these days -cannot serve in the event of illness, resignation or death. 

No wonder vice presidents have been forgotten so quickly. After an election, these responsibilities are quite small if the president is alive and well. 

However, in the more recent presidencies, vice presidents have been given more power to advise, engage in diplomatic affairs, campaign for the president, initiate legislation and spokespeople for the White House.

This is a start, but the role of the vice president should be greater. Standards need to be raised to keep half-witted pinheads like Biden out of office. Presidential candidates must consider not only who will get them elected, but who will also be a long-term political partner. 

If I were the president, I would choose a vice president who complemented my skills. Obama, who had minimal experience in international politics before assuming office, could have benefited from a seasoned right-hand man during the Arab Spring. 

We expect superhuman feats from our presidents. Why not delegate responsibilities to an intelligent, capable vice president? If Biden possessed either of these qualities, he could have taken on health care reform while Obama focused on the economy and job creation.

In giving the vice president one or two key issues to focus on, the president could direct attention to other matters and still maintain his or her power. Having one extra hour each day to concentrate on an important problem could potentially make an enormous difference in a president’s legacy. Indeed, an active vice president could change everything.

At the very least, our country needs a vice president who does not make comments such as “You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent… I’m not joking” as Biden did on C-SPAN. Good riddance.