Black Friday, buy nothing day

In the midst of a society centered on consumption, a new holiday trend is emerging. The replacement of Americas day of highest consumption and spending with an ecological alternative signals the shifting attitude of the American people.

Black Fridays origins stem from economics. The day after Thanksgiving was the first day of the holiday season in which businesses were making a profit, or in the black. Today, Black Friday is a shoppers mecca: a day of deals, savings, and chaos galore.

Yet despite the hold consumerism has on our American society, a counter-holiday has surfaced to combat Black Friday. Coined as Buy Nothing Day, this holiday serves as a reminder of the overarching presence of consumption in developed nations of the world.

Advocates of this holiday reject the over-indulgence that is Black Friday and instead avoid purchasing goods on this day. It is hoped that this symbolism will spread and impact society such that ideas of success and consumption will decrease on the large scale.

While the attitude and message is a step in the right direction, there is a plethora of ways in which a holiday shopper can reduce her or his carbon footprint and still get a great deal. Home crafts are always a good alternative to Macys or Nordstrom, and are often more greatly appreciated. And if youre on edge about checking out a thrift shop, watch Macklemores music video. Im sure hell change your mind.

Overall, the combination of growing populations and consumption is detrimental to the health of our ecosystem and planet. If each and every person could buy one less shirt or lamp or pair of socks, the impact would be astronomical. It all starts with a step, or perhaps, the avoidance of a credit card swipe.