Help out your new home state

Though Burlington was spared the worst of Hurricane Irene, much of southern Vermont was devastated by flooding. A dozen towns in the southern part of the state were left completely isolated — roads and bridges were washed out, and telephone and power lines were down. The thoughts of The Cynic editors and staff are with the hundreds of UVM students and their families who live in the devastated areas. By enrolling in this university, we have all joined the community of Vermont, regardless of where you come from. Maybe you are only planning on staying in Vermont for four short years, but while you are here get on board and care about your new community. This devastation is the perfect way to start. This school is a beautiful place because of the people here and the support from the community. We need to do our part to realize that The Cynic is proud that UVM has taken such a vocal role in urging students to help out and has been proactive in addressing student needs in the wake of the storm.  Here are a few of the many ways you can help out: — The Chittenden County United Way is looking for volunteers to answer phones at the 211 call center. — The Vermont Campus Impact, a group representing several colleges in the state, is seeking volunteers who can give any sort of time — a weekend, a school break, even a weekday evening — to assist with the cleanup from now until December. — The Town of Waterbury needs people to prepare, serve and cleanup after meals for people displaced by the storm. — The Town of Hancock is organizing a cleanup effort Friday, Sept. 9 and Saturday, Sept. 10 9 a.m.-5 p.m. to clear downed trees and brush. It is when tragedy strikes that a call goes out to everyone capable of helping. Do not hesitate to answer that call. Just a few exits down I-89 vestiges of Irene are still making daily life difficult for Vermont citizens.    For more information, please refer to the “VT 211 Needs UVM” email sent on Sept. 6 by the Department of Student Life to all students.