Letter to the Editor: Bob Just on Jon Stewart

UVMers,     Last week a letter was written about my actions to find a good seat at John Stewart. The letter was crafted in a tone that was both spiteful and disrespectful and it has impacted me in more than one way. The letter was full of embellishment and was over the top, but there was a point that needed to be made and it was one that I whole heartedly agree with.    Upon arrival to John Stewart, I was wondering where in the world I was going to find a seat with my friend. I looked around and saw two options, high rise bleachers or some empty seats up front. I asked some fellow students who were working the event as well as some yellow-shirted security personnel who all replied that it was reserved seating for ACCESS.Despite having this information, I wasn’t keen on having to sit all the way up top, so I waited until the seats opened up before the show, and as luck would have it, we were allowed to sit in the front row before the show began. After sitting down, David Kauffman came before me and caught me by surprise when he started yelling at me. After he was done, I looked around and felt victimized and could not believe what had happened.With great reflection over the past few days, I have come to realize how inappropriate it was of me to not to consider the impact of me getting a front row seat would have on the thousands of people who had waited before me to get their seats. I didn’t regard my roles on campus and how that impacts people’s perception of me. I consider myself a pretty normal student; however my visibility on campus is something I often forget impacts the reality that I am not a “normal” student. I have some positional powers on this campus and regardless of whether or not that could get me a front row seat, it appeared that it did.Once again, I have messed up, but this time I have been exposed for a selfish and irresponsible action. I knew people had waited hours to get seats behind me and my inability to accept a seat in the highest rows got the best of me. It was selfish and stupid and now I am being called out. Fair enough.It was extremely difficult to come home on Tuesday and receive a text message from a friend asking if I had read the cynic yet, only to turn to the opinion section and see that I had once again been targeted in a public domain. It was extremely difficult to read the embellished words that, in my mind, exaggerated the situation in the attempt to shame and further dishonor my name on this campus. But, I deserved it. I have made such common mistakes this year at the cost of my reputation as a leader, but it has been those mistakes that have continued building me into both a better person and a better leader. I’m not perfect, nor do I want to be, because it is in these moments that I have the opportunity to learn and grow.Despite your sarcasm and cynicism, I thank you David. I thank you for calling me out and holding me accountable for my misguided actions. I may not be fit to be a leader in your eyes and that is something I’ll have to live with. For the rest of you all, I apologize for my narcissistic behavior. I live without regret as it is in these moments that I have seen and felt the power and lesson of accountability. Unfortunately it has come at the expense of my integrity as a leader, but that is something I am going to have to live with and accept. It’s a big hole that I have dug this year, but believe me when I say I am committed to getting myself out and doing a better job serving you all. Thank you,Bob Just