Letter to the editor: Sperry’s unreliable?

Dear editor,

While wasting time on the UVM memes Facebook page, I came across a Condescending Wonka meme about Sperry Top-Siders.

The meme, which pointed out the fact that Sperrys are supposed to be boat shoes, not only made me laugh, it made me think about the shoes. I cant help but wonder why Sperrys are as popular as they are.

I received a pair of Sperrys for my birthday this year. My best friend had been raving about them and I was curious to see what they were like. However, I soon found that they arent all they are cracked up to be.

My friend swore up and down that her Sperrys were the most comfortable shoes she had ever owned. The thing that she left out was that Sperrys will destroy your feet before they become comfortable.

About 40 minutes into the maiden voyage of my Sperrys, they started to torture me. It started with the blisters on the back of the heel that are pretty much customary with any new pair of shoes. Then I developed blisters on the top of my foot where the shoes rubbed against my skin. By the end of those 40 minutes, I was hobbling.

I have had my Sperrys for three months now and I still cant walk more than 50 feet in them. Dont get me wrong, they are very comfortable as long as you dont move. Walking is overrated, isnt it?

I just dont understand how these little torture devices became so popular.

Ive been told that I just need to build up scar tissue in the places that they give me blisters. I dont feel the need to scar myself for a pair of shoes.

People put themselves in pain for the sake of fashion but in the case of these shoes, is it worth it?

Sincerely,

Roxanne Powell

Class of 2014