Letter to the editor: Tree huggers united

This Friday, April 26, students from the HCOL 186 and NR 206 classes will hold an event in front of the Davis Center to showcase the importance of trees and demonstrate why we should care about them.

The ultimate goal of this and the associated research is to have UVM selected as a Tree Campus, a special Arbor Day Foundation designation.

Join us from 1 to 3 p.m. on Friday for an afternoon of storytelling and education. Learn about the significance of trees in our greater community and what we can do to protect and promote them.

We welcome your input, opinions and suggestions. In case of rain, the event will be held in the Billings round room at the same time.

Trees are an important, if oft ignored, part of our world as humans. They provide habitat for a variety of animals, create oxygen and absorb carbon, serve as a food source for people and animals and stabilize the soil.

They are also highly culturally significant.

Certain trees have been revered as sacred, while others have been reviled as almost demonic, seen as hosts to evil spirits. Today, people value trees for their aesthetic appeal.

Their presence as ornamentals can break up the otherwise monotonous city landscape of steel and concrete, and larger trees can provide valuable shade during the hot summer months.

In recognition of these and other benefits, we hope you will join us in celebrating the trees on campus.

Sincerely,

Students of HCOL 186
and NR 206