No Bush, No Kerry: Is Revolution Necessary?

I was sitting on the porch outside Waterman passing the odd half hour before my philosophy course, when I heard a siren in the distance. A man biked by on a mo-ped followed by a large crowd of concerned UVM students marching over the main green. I thought they were headed straight past Waterman to the downtown area, instead they turned towards Waterman and ep?©e up the steps, right past the heavy, iron clad doors. As they moved past I could hear loud chants: “no more years, no more years!”, “show me what democracy looks like”, This is what democracy looks like”.

At first my apathetic product of Americana resisted the urge to voice my feelings and join there plight. After the persuasion of some good friends from the body of the protestors, I found it not only easy to persuade my self, but necessary to at least follow them around, and hear them out. I walked in after them, I walked into a frenzy of noise that battered my ear drums. I looked up, I could see weary professors and students looking down upon us like eagles lost from a non-existent flock.

I looked at the steps leading up to my philosophy class, then at the now leaving protestors and decided, maybe its time to put aside my anxieties and skeptical thoughts in cause of some change, no matter how small it would be, Id be partaking in something meaningful to follow in morning and disdain of the worlds loss.

We exited Waterman from the side door. Making our way onto College st.. We took to either sides, blocking both lanes, students railed on drums and gave cues for chants via megaphones. Luckily I had warm clothing and a pair of boots, for little did I know this would become an all day event.

We hung a left onto main st. and made our way to the main intersection. Kids with cell phones flipped us off as they tried to drive around us, scraggly men yelled “you lost, get over it!”, and those that supported us mostly stuck to the sidelines on the comfy sidewalks. It’s at this time something that has not occurred in a long time overcame us all. We chanted, without hesitation, “No Bush, No Kerry, Revolution is Necessary”.

The eyes of on-lookers widened at this chant as if they were violently awoken from a dream. We gathered outside the state building on main street and passed the mike around for everyone to share how they felt about Kerry’s conceding. Students from UVM joined Vermont citizens from different ethnic, religious, political backgrounds under one shared message, solidarity is our lifeline, we need to create a unifying brotherhood by bridging the barrier between the “if not this, then the other” mentality.