No party politics

About a week ago, a friend of mine asked me what it was like to be bi.Bipartisan, that is.All I could say is what I’ll tell you: I’m not bipartisan. I’m not even non-partisan. I’m not anything! I am the Switzerland of the political world.I don’t care whether you’re a Democrat, Republican, Independent, Green Party or any of the other multitudes of political sects out there.At the end of the day, political parties only have themselves and the success of their party in mind.In my world of political neutrality, what it boils down to for me are ideas. If you have good ideas, you’ve got my vote.The war in the Middle East? Bad idea. Not because it’s an illegitimate, republican-fueled fire, but because war is an ineffective method for achieving goals, especially when it is a pre-emptive war with a blatant lack of planning and world support.The bailout plan? Worst idea I’ve lived to see politically. Not because it is a democratic ponzi-scheme, but because it leaves our future generations drowning in debt.During last year’s presidential election, I heard so much ridiculous rhetoric about both parties that it was impossible to tell the individual candidate’s campaign from the party ideology.I hate to say it, but we’re in debt up to our eyeballs, people, and recent reports claim we’ll be in the Middle East for the next 30 years.That means our children will see an American war in the Middle East.Isn’t it about time we joined as one, united party – the American Party – and work for a better policy instead of a more powerful party?I know political parties are useful for identifying and unifying those with similar ideas, but our political system hinders progress because there are too many ties among parties, lobbyists and campaign contributors.It’s time we develop a system based on the best interests of the people and not the interests of an elephant or an ass.Otherwise, we are doomed to shift our political ideals every four years for the rest of our days.And please, don’t give me that jargon about democrats and republicans wanting the same things.Most people vote based on political alliances, and really, would any of you democrats on campus have voted for Obama if he were a Republican?I’m going to go out on a limb here and call B.S. on about 75 percent of you who said “yes.”Sure, they can work together when their self-interests and reputations are at stake, but do you see Big Papi batting for the Yanks when they’re down and out?I didn’t think so.If we want policies that reflects our goals and values we need to move beyond bipartisan. We need non-partisan politics.