Priority registration for athletes

The notion that student-athletes receive full priority registration for classes may irk some people in concept, but in practice, there is not a good enough reason to stop such a policy.   It is only logical that first dibs go to the students who have concrete obligations to schedule their classes around. Other students may feel shortchanged, but it seems more unjust if student-athletes are forced out of a class they need to take just because Bobby needs his Thursday nights free to party. Besides the obvious notion that student-athletes get priority only because they need it to effectively juggle both obligations, there is the question of how detrimental this actually is to the class selection of the general student body. Being a first year, I found little difficulty in selecting classes that were both relevant to my major and fulfilled some graduation requirements. Even at the very bottom of the class selection food chain, I didn’t have trouble, so I can’t see it being much of an issue going forward. The critics of this policy, as I stated before, seem to have no good reason to be peeved, other than for the difficulty in scheduling around their other, less university-concerned pursuits. That is not to say that athletics take precedent over anything else students on campus might be doing, but it is worth pointing out that the University has an obligation to put its athletic programs — some of which are competing at a very high level — in the best position to succeed. A simple function can help to make sense of this situation. The more inclined a student is toward school work and specific class selection, the less time said student will most likely be putting into other activities, therefore allowing their schedule to be more flexible. A less academically inclined student is less likely to be taking a demanding or specific course load and therefore shouldn’t have trouble balancing their ulterior pursuits with their schoolwork. Therefore, there should be no complaints from anyone about this situation. The SGA resolution denouncing full priority registration policy for student-athletes is ludicrous and poorly thought out. They present no logical reason for their opposition other than seniors not being able to get into classes they need to graduate. That simply seems like poor planning on the part of such seniors. Certain senators also contested the fact that student-athletes deserve full priority registration, according to the minutes of the Sept. 28 SGA meeting. After all, priority registration policy puts student-athletes in a good place to succeed and removes any excuses for failure to perform off the field. Some students may be upset that these players seem more important to the University than the rest of us. In reality, it is a simple method to allow them to be their best on and off the field that has very little effect on the success or failure of the rest of us.