Sororities: Prudent Premise and Priorities?

We’re committing social suicide. We really are. But… we don’t care. We don’t care because we don’t seek approval from people who would condemn us for what we are about to say. We tend to seek deeper relationships based on real issues rather than mundane opinions.

We are not writing this to make you believe that we are better than girls who bear their Greek letter on their purses, flip-flops, sweatshirts, t-shirts, derrieres, dildos, bathrobes, bumper stickers and so on. However, we do find that there are some discrepancies between our system of values and theirs, which ultimately makes us different.

To start with, we don’t find it necessary to wear our financial status and various affiliations on our sleeves (again, Greek letters, Gucci handbags, etc). Me and my affiliate, who happens to be my best friend and is, like me, not in a sorority, share a very strong bond without the need for secret midnight meetings and a coveted sisterhood based on the pin you wear.

Who are we? We are two regular girls who have some questions about sorority life on campus. Our first inquietude is the following: What are the premises of the sorority selection process? According to firsthand reports, a bunch of girls congregate at a common place in a meat-market fashion and offer themselves and their fine meat to butchers who first weed out the nerves, thick skins, fat and other undesired tissue.

After this first process is through, another one takes places under the name of Pledge, a process in which the final cuts are made. This is not an easy process, however. The remaining girls have to prove to the “authority” sisters that they are cool, fun, perky, preppy and sorority material to be part of their sisterhood. This, more often than not, means relegation of the new “rushies” to a position where they do not receive exactly royal treatment. Standing up for oneself or complaining about the ill treatment is not seen as a virtue (a consequence could be loss of pledging privileges). On the contrary, conformity to these degradations is strongly encouraged. Our question is the following: Who is it, exactly, who makes a good pick as a new member of a sorority? Why are some girls rejected and led to believe that they don’t “deserve” the friendship of these ultra-cool sorority girls due to a lack of a certain special quality? (That, we suspect, cannot be measured).

Besides that, we have other inquiries to raise: What happens if a girl is picked as a new member of the sorority and cannot afford the expenses necessary to be a sister? Does she get some sort of financial aid? If she doesn’t, is this bias against lower classes?

Another doubt about these prestigious societies of sisters regards what happens in their secret meetings. Do they have secret salutes and rituals just like the ones we all had as children in our treehouse clubs? Do they get grounded by the president upon revealing these secrets to a non-member? What is so secret about all of this? Are there secret songs, male strippers, drug use and alcohol abuse, hidden passages and cult affiliations that fellow students are never to find out about?

And what about the rule that states that no partying is allowed in these all-female havens? Even if all the girls unanimously agree to have a party, do they, as we understand they do, get severely reprimanded by officials for these actions? And if so, why? We see this not only as a sexist principle, but also as one enforcing conformity, which seems to be a general theme in sororities overall.

Maybe we should start our own sorority…