Student Unity = True Improvement

UVM is in need of serious student organizing. From our professors who are unionizing in an effort to stop being shafted by our bloated and greedy administration, to the students, who are forced weekly to undergo invasive and unfair questioning by UVM police, there are many pressing matters to deal with. Remarkably, however, none of these problems are being addressed by the student community with any sort of urgency.

The Teachers strike has been the subject of several articles, and there have been several demonstrations in support of their struggle. Minimal attention has been paid, but it has been mentioned. But I have yet to read an article relating to the UVM police’s invasive new policies of random searches and breathalyzers.

Almost every day, I speak to someone else who has been unfairly targeted by UVM police for alcohol or drug violations. Without appearing drunk, carrying alcohol visibly (or otherwise) or any other viable infraction, these students have been unfairly subjected to immediate breathalyzers. Two people I spoke to are straight-edge, but still face expulsion over alcohol possession. If they refuse, they are written a ticket for the alcohol they never had. Civil rights, anyone? UVM police have reserved the right to detain and question anyone they suspect or assume may have done something wrong, and there has been no public outcry whatsoever.

I understand that there has been an increase in crime on our campus and downtown since last year. Unfortunately, busting more people for Saturday night partying will not stop the problem, but that is all the police and administration can really come up with. Even a mild look into crime statistics reveals that there is no connection between an increase in punishment and a decrease in crime. If the UVM police plan to protect us by turning our campus into a police state, we are in big trouble.

In my opinion, the day-to-day Orwellian Big-Brother oppression of my peers and I takes precedence over all other political issues at hand. I wholeheartedly support those who have the strength to fight Bush’s war for oil, but come on, people, what about what’s going on in your own backyard? We need to organize ourselves to protect our basic civil liberties, and there is no one doing anything about it. Where is the SGA? Where is the ISO, or any other liberal organization on campus? UVM students need to stop stagnating and complaining about their mistreatment, and do something about it. Otherwise, the already insane amount of liberties the cops have been taking will only increase.