What’s with all the shootings?

The past few months the world has been slammed with shootings one after the other all nonsensical acts of violence occurring from one corner of the Earth to the other.

Statistically, as of 2007, 10.2 out of every 100,000 people were killed by firearms across the United States, including accidental shootings, suicides, acts of self-defense, as well as crimes. While this may not seem like a very large number, the amount of attempted shootings this year is tipping the scale.

Most recently in the news was the shooting in France this past Wednesday. The gun attack left four dead in a remote woodland park in the French Alps.

While the crime scene has been sealed and remains untouched, the police are still looking into the matter and have not determined the unfolding of events, or the identity of the shooter.

Early this summer was the infamous Dark Knight shooting in Aurora, Colo. in which 12 people were killed and many more injured.

Two people were found shot to death Tuesday evening in a Sycamore hospital room; it is unclear as to whether the victims deaths were self-inflicted.

Another notorious shooting this summer was the killings at the Empire State Building. A 58-year-old man pulled out a .45-caliber semi-automatic handgun and shot a former employer, resulting in 16 rounds of gunfire shot by the police, further wounding 9 bystanders.

What we can derive from all this violence is that there is in fact a problem. Certainly America needs to wake up to gun violence, but the world needs a dose of reality as well.

These shootings have all been senseless, but the first problem to address is whether or not we can figure out what will work to make the violence stop.

Secondly, if we do manage to figure out what will work can these plausible solutions be implemented legislatively?

Its been proven time and time again that creating new laws doesnt erase the problem its redefining societal habits and commonalities that bring about change.

Gun control legislation wont stop mass murder. Passing a law is one step, but utilizing it and enforcing it is another. It remains to be seen if a uniting force will redefine violence and show Americans that no, it is never okay to kill humans with a gun.