An Unknown Team, Makes Itself Known

The silent sleeper sport of UVM….the equestrian team. For those of you who are confused…the horse back riding team.

Though we may not have varsity status, get funded by the University or have fans cheering us on in the stands…WE ARE going to the National Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) competition in Tennessee for the first time since 2000 to compete with over 15 other schools for the top spot in the country (can’t say that about the Hockey team).

After winning the regional competition at Dartmouth for the 5th year in a row, the team of 25 qualified for Zones which were held at Stoneleigh Burnham School in Massachusetts. There we won yet again beating last year’s National Champions, Stonehill College.

From here, the top two teams, UVM and Mt Holyoke, are now being sent to Nationals May 6-9 to ride their hearts out for the winning spot. In addition to the team qualifying, there are also two individuals who made it through to Nationals to compete on their own. These riders are: John Pigott (junior) and Sam Talbot (sophomore).

So put your hands together and give us a hand because we are determined to win and bring home one of the few National Championships this University has seen in a while.