Barry Named 2003 Preseason All American

Senior Jeff Barry of the University of Vermont has been named to the 2003 Preseason All-America Team by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association.

A second team selection, Barry was one of three New England players on the top three teams and one of two America East players named to squad.

“This is another well deserved award for Jeff,” comment UVM head coach Bill Currier. “He works very hard to be honored along with players from the nation’s traditional powers.”

Barry, who heads into the 2003 campaign as Vermont’s career leader in batting average (.370), is coming off one of the most decorated seasons ever for a Catamount baseball player. In 2002, he was named UVM’s first-ever America East Player of the Year and was a first team selection to the America East all-conference team, the all-New England team, the all-ECAC team and the ABCA Northeast all-Region team.

In leading the Catamounts (27-22 in 2002) to a program-best second place finish in the America East, Barry was the conference batting champion at .401 and led the league in stolen bases (a UVM-record 32 in 34 attempts), hits (another UVM record, 71) and triples while ranking among the leaders in seven other offensive categories. Last summer he also was a New England Collegiate Baseball League all-star while playing for the Keene Swamp Bats.

Vermont opens their 2003 season on March 7th at Drexel in the Philadelphia Baseball Classic. Also next spring, the University of Vermont will host the 2003 America Baseball Championship on May 22-24 at Centennial Field.