Beasley, Chavez Lift Men’s Soccer Cats to Win Over Northeastern

Neil Beasley scored twice and Matt Chavez added a goal and two assists to lift Vermont to a 3-1 win over Northeastern in America East men’s soccer Saturday afternoon at Centennial Field.

The win was the second straight, and third in the last four games, for the Catamounts who evened their America East record at 3-3-1 to move into sixth place. The victory also avenged a loss to the Huskies in last season’s America East championship game in Boston.

Normally a defender, Beasley moved up to the midfield and tallied the first two goals of his career. One minute into the game, he just missed an excellent chance as N.U. keeper Sergio Saccoccio (two saves) snuffed his point-blank bid. But in the fifth minute, Beasley would get the Cats on the board. Chavez rattled a 10-yard, low shot off the left post and the rebound straddled the goal line for Beasley, who tapped it in.

Northeastern tied the contest in the 38th minute when Vermont had trouble clearing the ball from in front of their goal. Atha Kirkopoulos pushed a loose ball out of a scramble to Oumar Thiam, who buried a low drive from eight yards.

But the Catamounts would counter just 59 seconds later on an outstanding individual effort by Chavez, who scored his team-high seventh goal of the season. Ethan Hutchins’ right-to-left corner kick went through traffic as Chavez, who would crash into the left post, dove to head it home. Hutchins’ assist was the 14th of his career to move into a tie for sixth all-time at Vermont.

Beasley would ice the game in the 70th minute converting a short volley from a cross by Chavez, who set up the play with a long run down the left side.

David Sullivan made four stops in backboning a solid Vermont defense which featured strong efforts by Sullivan Silva, Corey Bronner, T.J. Mead and John Antonucci. Saccoccio made two saves for the Huskies (7-6-3, 4-3-1) who held on to second place in the standings despite the loss.

The Catamounts (4-8-4 overall) close out the homestand hosting Binghamton Wednesday at 2:00pm at Centennial Field. It will be the final regular season home game for UVM seniors Antonucci, Mead, Chavez, Hutchins and Travis Owen.

-Athletic Communications