Boston College Tops UVM in Lacrosse

The Vermont Women’s Lacrosse team was defeated by Boston College, 16-10, last Wednesday.

The Eagles were led by Jenna McCabe and Elizabeth Kadison, who combined for 11 points.

McCabe picked up three assists and was one of three Eagles to score a hat trick.

Emily Hannigan and Lauren Costello also added three goals each.

Kadison dished out five assists and netted two goals to help the Eagles to their victory.

For the Catamounts, freshman Kaitlyn Fuller led the team in scoring with three goals while sophomore Kristen Millar scored twice and had two assists.

The first eight minutes of the game were a battle with the two teams trading quick goals.

The Catamounts took a one goal lead with about 21 minutes into the first half thanks to a goal from Millar.

The Eagles then rallied with two straight goals one minute apart to take the lead 4-3 with 15 minutes left to play in the first half.

Fuller netted a goal to tie the score 4-4, but BC answered with five straight goals in six minutes to up their lead 9-4.

UVM’s sophomore Jennifer Maher scored the final goal of the half to end the BC scoring streak, making the halftime score 9-5.

“During the game we had potential to win and we knew they would take the one v. ones if they had it,” freshman Ali Haigh said. “We would have to be quick to double, but we also had to watch the slide because if we had doubled and left a girl open then they would defiantly get it to her and score.”

Catamount senior Becky Kenison opened up the second half with a goal, cutting the Eagles lead to three.

BC replied with another five-goal rally to open up the half and take the lead for good.

Vermont was outshot 40-27 in the game.

Goalie Meaghen Hanley made 15 saves, a season high for the UVM junior.

Boston College goalies Courtney Zwirko and Katie Monaghan combined to make 10 saves.

Vermont’s record fell to 2-6 for the season while Boston college improved their record to 4-3 overall.

“We’re ready I think, everyone seemed to be pumped up and motivated,” Haigh said.

“We all really wanted to do well because we haven’t proved what we can do yet. I know we are a lot better than what our record shows,” Haigh said.

The Catamounts next game will be held on Wednesday, March 21 when they host Siena for a 3 p.m. contest.