Cat Athletes Snag Honors

Women’s Soccer- The University of Vermont’s Melissa Witkiewicz was named America East Women’s Soccer Rookie of the Week for the week ending October 27. She is the second Catamount to earn a conference honor this season.

Witkiewicz, a freshman midfielder for the Catamounts, netted her first-career goal and assisted on another in Vermont’s stunning 3-0 victory over first-place New Hampshire in Durham, NH.

Witkiewicz has helped solidify the Vermont midfield since being inserted into the starting lineup midway through the season.

Men’s Hockey- Freshman forward Joey Gasparini was named ECAC Rookie of the Week today after scoring the game-winning goal in overtime to lift the Catamounts to a 3-2 win over Fairfield on Saturday, Oct. 26th.

The goal was Gasparini’s second in as many games. He scored his first collegiate goal at Boston College on Oct. 20th in an 8-6 BC win.

Men’s Soccer- Adam Wallace was named America East Men’s Soccer Player of the Week and was selected to the National Team of the Week by CollegeSoccerNews.com, a national college soccer website.

Wallace scored all four UVM goals in their 4-2 win over Hartford on Saturday to become the first Catamount since 1976 to score four times in one game. One shy of the school-record, his four-goal game ties him with five others for the most in NCAA Division I this season. He also has tallied six goals in the last three games after scoring only four over the first 55 games of his career.