Catamount Women’s Cross Country Cruises To Victory

Senior Michele Palmer (Plymouth, Mass.) led the University of Vermont women’s cross country team to a dominating performance at the Saint Michael’s Invitational in Colchester, Vt. this afternoon. Palmer won the race, her second victory of the year, with a time of 18:09 and the Catamounts placed runners in the first seven finishers.

UVM won the race for the second straight year, finishing with 15 points ahead of Saint Michael’s (59 points) and Lyndon State (68 points).

Senior Tee Gingras (Barre, Vt.) finished second with a time of 18:25 and was followed by Alexandra Hill (Rome, N.Y) (3rd), Tessa Auwarter (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.) (4th), Hazel Ryerson (Cambridge, Mass.) (5th), Jen Plourde (Wilbraham, Mass.) (6th) and Heather Mitchell (Queensbury, N.Y.) (7th). Freshmen Emily Watts (Washington, D.C.) (21:19) and Emily Wolfe (Danbury, Conn.) (22:06) rounded out the Vermont squad, finishing in 14th and 17th place, respectively.

On the men’s side, the Catamounts earned a third place finish overall as a team with 54 points, behind Lyndon State (29 points) and Saint Michael’s (40 points).

Junior Lee Stanton (Fair Haven, Vt.) was UVM’s top runner for the fifth straight race, covering the course in a time of 26:58 to place sixth overall. Mike Scott (Gales Ferry, Conn.) (27:13) and Stephen Rizner (Middlebury, Vt.) crossed the finish line in 9th and 10th overall. Will Gochberg (St. Paul, Minn.) finished 12th with a time of 27:28, while Sam Nelson (Milton, Vt.) (27:46) and Chris Young (Dallas, Pa.) (29:04) rounded out the squad in 17th and 21st place, respectively.

Vermont will be idle preparing for the America East Conference Cross Country Championships which will be held on November 1st and hosted by the Albany in Albany, N.Y.

-Athletic Communications